Site Profitability Depends on Its Visitor - Friendliness
How Website “Usability” Is a Key Factor in Your Site Profitability
By Cindy Zaglinski, Certified Copywriter and Site Audit Consultant
Website usability rules found in the industry-standard guidelines suggest that if you don’t follow these rules, your site might be underwater before it even goes live on the internet. Why? Because the fact is: your website is an important business component, much like a storefront window where your best is on display. The quality and reputation of your products, services, and brand are under the microscope.
Consider for a moment that you own a retail shop and you work hard to make sure it’s attractive with clearly marked prices and several arrangements to help the shopper put your products together. Your friendly staff answers questions and is always available to assist with quick, smooth checkout. Finally, you thank the customer and offer a savings coupon toward a return visit.
It all makes for a very pleasant customer experience. This means they’ll likely return to buy more, and they’ll tell all their friends. This is essentially what site copywriting usability means. It’s the delightful experience a customer has when they go on your site…so they’ll continue to buy from you and tell others.
A great website design contains the following usability considerations:
- A simple, clean design that focuses on customer needs versus overblown designs, overly wordy text, or overbearing visual gimmicks.
- Easy navigation or access to the main features without being too busy or confusing.
- Detailed information (other pages or links) within just one or two clicks, any more would be frustrating for the customer.
- Appropriate and helpful graphics that balance with descriptive text.
- A logical information hierarchy with menus that guide customers with what they need.
The book Homepage Usability, the web industry’s usability “bible,” written by gurus Jakob Nielsen and Marie Tahir is a wonderful resource that includes 113 usability guidelines.
Here, we offer our own version with 10 essential requirements.